I finished up my black and white striped corset for my Dark Circus costume last week! It looks great and fits perfectly. Which I suppose it should, since I drafted the pattern to my measurements. In my last post about it, I had been sewing on the boning channels. The next step was to bind the top and bottom, which I did my making some binding tape out of black velveteen.
Then I put in the grommets and attached a modestly panel to the back. No matter how skinny you are, a corset will give you back cleavage which looks terrible. A modesty panel is a must!
The grommets took forever! Cutting the holes and pounding them in by hand is such a pain. But a grommet setter is so expensive! Oh well. I don’t have to put grommets in very often so it’s not that big of a deal. If I did it every week, I’d probably get the grommet setter. Here’s a look at the inside of the corset -
Nice and neat. Don’t mind the lint, it came from punching all the holes for the grommets. I took it off with tape. This corset fits like a dream – it’s tight but not ridiculous. I want to be able to wear this costume for hours at a time if I need to.
I’m really pleased with the shape I made for the top and bottom. Sadly, I only took crappy selfies of me wearing it, and I’m too lazy to lace it up again and take more. I figure I will take plenty of pics when the costume is all done anyways!
As you can see, it’s very boobtastic! Haha! My dress form doesn’t have the boobage I do, so it looks somewhat less dramatic on her. I’m wearing it in this pic over a sweet tank top I made myself out of leather look spandex. I threw the corset on my dress form, and pinned all my other fabrics for the costume to it to make a little mock up of how the costume will look with the various fabrics. I am really pleased with the effect! I think this costume is going to turn out so cute!